Address: 2 Jermyn Street, London SW1Y 4XA
Opened on March 21st 1874, the Criterion Theatre is one of the English capital’s oldest and most well-established playhouses, offering fantastic shows for more than a century and continuing to draw thousands of visitors every year.
Seating 591 guests over three tiers, the theatre utilises a proscenium stage that offers excellent views of the players from all angles. It is located in the heart of London’s trendy and cultural West End, and offers a fantastic choice of productions that anyone hoping to catch a great show during their time in the English capital will not want to miss.
Residing in an impressive grade II-listed property on the outskirts of London’s busy Piccadilly Circus, the venue is just a stone’s throw from some of the city’s most popular attractions and is therefore a perfect choice for travellers hoping not to venture too far from the beaten track, while also aiming to soak up some culture during a visit to the English capital.
Notable productions at the Criterion Theatre
Over the years, the venue has welcomed to the stage an array of standout performances and productions, with some of the most notable including Ray Cooney’s 1983 and 1989 runs of the critically-acclaimed Run for Your Wife, as well as the longstanding run of performances by the The Reduced Shakespeare Company between 1996 and 2005.
In recent years, musical theatre has come to the fore at the venue, with Close to You: Bacharach Reimagined having wowed audiences with its charm in relating the story of acclaimed singer-songwriter Burt Bacharach.
Full details of the current roster of performers and plays can be found by visiting the official website of the Criterion Theatre.
Opening hours for the Criterion Theatre
Guests can enjoy live performances at the Criterion Theatre on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays, with matinee performances held at 3pm daily and also evening shows from 7.30pm.
Where to park near the Criterion Theatre
Visitors to London hoping to hire a car and venture out onto the open road can make use of several parking facilities when planning a visit to the Criterion Theatre. Here are some of the handy nearby options for drivers to make use of:
- Denman Street Car Park (0.2 miles, four minutes’ travel time on foot)
- Trafalgar Car Park (0.3 miles, six minutes)
- Tolpuddle Street Car Park (0.3 miles, eight minutes)
- Q-Park Chinatown (0.4 miles, seven minutes)
- Shelton Street Car Park (0.6 miles, 12 minutes)
- Coleshill Parkway (0.9 miles, 18 minutes)
- NCP Car Park London Grosvenor Hill (0.7 miles, 14 minutes)
- Red Route Parking (0.6 miles, 13 minutes)
Motorists heading into central London during a visit to the English capital should remember that traffic volumes can be high throughout the day and into the evening, meaning travellers should plan their journeys in advance to avoid the most congested routes.
Tube stations near the Criterion Theatre
For anyone hoping to forego the potential stresses of driving in the city, the London Underground could be the perfect way to get from A to B in the swiftest and easiest manner.
Several Tube stations can be found in the vicinity of the Criterion Theatre, including:
- Covent Garden (Piccadilly line)
- Tottenham Court Road (Central and Northern lines)
- Oxford Circus (Bakerloo, Central and Victoria lines)
- Bond Street (Central and Jubilee lines)
- Green Park (Jubilee, Piccadilly and Victoria lines)
- Westminster (Circle, District and Jubilee lines)
- Embankment (Bakerloo, Circle, District and Northern lines)
In addition, overground rail services can be found at the nearby Charing Cross station, with visitors from outside of London able to easily reach the local area from London Waterloo, which also just a short walk away.
Full details of all public transport options for visitors to the Criterion Theatre can be found be heading to the official website of Transport for London.
Other sights to see near Criterion Theatre
Finally, it is not just a great theatre experience that awaits visitors to this busy part of the English capital, with plenty of other great things to see and do in the local area. Here are just some of the great attractions in the vicinity of the Criterion Theatre that London visitors might like to enjoy:
- Ripley’s Believe It or Not! London (0.1 miles, two minutes’ travel time on foot/via public transport)
- Apollo Theatre (0.2 miles, four minutes)
- The National Gallery (0.3 miles, seven minutes)
- Trafalgar Square (0.3 miles, seven minutes)
- Green Park (0.5 miles, six minutes)
- St James’s Park (0.6 miles, 13 minutes)
- Horse Guards Parade (0.3 miles, eight minutes)
- Somerset House (0.8 miles, 12 minutes)
- Churchill War Rooms (0.6 miles, 13 minutes)
- The Royal Institution of Great Britain (0.5 miles, nine minutes)
- Southbank Centre (one mile, 11 minutes)
- Coca-Cola London Eye (0.9 miles, 13 minutes)